Monday, July 4, 2016

Nightmares Chapter 8

Navitas made the suggestion after we had taken care of the house to travel to Dawnstar and talk to the Jarl that owned the land in the area I wanted to put the Strong hold in. I figured we could find a bounty or two in that Hold maybe another kind of job. It was short trip up the mountain to get to the house, it sat on a trail that was near Iverstead, so that might be a good town to do some trading in, order supplies from the local hunter.

Two days saw the house to rights, Navitas said that we had it as clean as we could, we draped the furniture in dust cloths again and left. The trip to Dawnstar took two weeks, bandit's  attacking slowed us down, but assured we entered town with enough loot to add coin to our purses. We traded that off and bought some better furs than we had come north with, the thinner ones we had selling right away to a group that was heading to Solitude for a wedding.

The Jarl would not speak with us, the steward saying that all business other than the Civil War was to be put on hold until such a time as someone did something about the Nightmares everyone was having. So we went to the Inn and rented a room, with two beds, then went out and listened to some of the local women complain about their nightmares to a Priest.

We watched them walk away, not happy with the answers he was able to give. I picked up my dinner and walked to our room and ate at the table in there, I wanted to think without the local Bard caterwauling in my ear..

From what the women had said, the nightmares just started, they had not mentioned anything that would cause people to have bad dreams, so. The Priest was giving them the run around, not really answering their questions, just reassuring them. He knew something, but what? Not a Divine... huh, a Deadric Prince? Yeah, that sounded about right, which meant he had a solution or something that he wanted to try, but maybe needed a strong sword arm for. I would ask him in the morning.

I found out the next morning and wished I had not asked, because this Priest of Mara not only wanted my help, but as we stood in front of the place he called Night Caller Temple, he told me all of the truth he had hidden the day before and also said that Navitas could not come with us.

Two hours later I was even more unhappy with him, he was not a warrior at all, the mace he carried was more for show. The Bandit's that had been gassed to sleep along with the worshipers of Namira, were none to happy to see either of us. The Worshipers and Priests were as inept as Eurander and easy to deal with. The Orc Bandit's, they on the other hand were warriors and much harder to deal with.

He destroyed a Staff that had been used as a Locus for the Deadric Prince to spread nightmares and then said he would be more than happy to help me in any way he could. I thanked him and then headed out of the Temple, where Navitas was waiting.

"Well Kurdan, I love your new armor, it's all spiky, you could always run into any enemies and impale them on it." I grunted as I dug into Shyla's pack for a healing potion. " Of course you could have your old armor back if you want it, a bandit ran out of the Temple with a sack of loot, including your armor and sword. I'm not sure I even want to ask." I guzzled down the potion and grimaced at the foul taste, but I could already feel the small cuts knitting together.

"That Priest was no kind of warrior and it's Mara's own Luck that neither of us were killed." I looked over and grabbed the bag that Navitas was holding out and then rummaged through my gear for some underclothing. Damn only one set left and I know I had blood smeared neck to toe.  I stuffed my cloths in the bag with my armor and tied it to Shayla's saddle. " Navitas, I think a bath in Dawnstar before I put on my armor." with that I sung onto Shayla and headed to town.

"Sounds good to me" I could hear the laughter in her voice, It wasn't bad armor, the craftsmanship was excellent, but it was heavy and I had no where near the flexibility of my own armor. I would clean it then sell it.

We sat in one of the tubs, hot water to the neck, warm mead in tankards with food ordered for when we got out. The other tub's dirty water was draining, the Innkeeper had said to wash in one tub and soak in the other. While I was at it and after Navitas had finished cleaning and was soaking, I had washed myself and my underclothes. I would wear soft breech's and a loose shirt til the morning.

"Navitas, once we talk to the Jarl in the Morning and if he is agreeable to sell the land, I think it is time to start talking to the Stronghold chiefs. While I don't need their approval, I do need their good will so that I can draw in some good warriors." I heard her sigh and the water splash just a bit.

"Sound's like a plan, we can sell the thing's you looted and then get a good days rest while we re-provision and then head out the next day, barring bad weather.

No comments:

Post a Comment