Tuesday, July 5, 2016

A bump in the Road pg 9

We were not even a half a day out of Dawnstar when  the snow started falling, it wasn't a blizzard, but decreased our visability, we were in the tree's when they hit, three of the Chiss. The mage was the biggest problem, throwing spells at us faster than we could dodge, the sharp coldness of ice spikes slowed me down as I went after the mage. The other two disappeared into what looked like a cloud of black birds and reappeared one on either side of Navitas.

I had to turn my concentration to the mage as he hit me with another powerful spell, I had a thought and ducked behind a tree for a moment and felt in my pouch for one of the rings that I had looted and that the Priest of Mara said was an amulet of magic resistance and then I dug down deep inside and called all the rage energy an Orc has and ran at the mag as fast as I could.

The Nordic Greatsword I had taken off of one of the Bandit's lopped off the mages head in one slice. I then ran back to Navitas, who was on the ground, both Chiss closing in. I placed myself between them and her, it was hard to keep my eye's on them, as they used some kind of magic to cloud themselves. I ignored where they went and concentrated on where they wanted to go, I stayed by Navitas.

Luck held as a patrol came across us, two members of the Dawnguard and a Vigilant of Stendar. When the Chiss attackers were dead, the Vigilant went over to Navitas and offered her a potion and used a healing spell and she soon looked a little less pale.

I and the two Dawnguard members rummaged through the dead Chiss and then went back to where Navitas and the Vigilant were sitting. The Vigilant laid out a cloak and we dumped everything except the bloody armor and weapons, those we placed beside the cloak.

One of the Dawnguard, a Dunmer that looked old enough to be a contemporary of my Father, which meant old enough to have known my Great-great Grandfather, picked up all the letters and upon opening one grimaced and then pulled a ring out of his pouch. At the same time the Vigilant waved a hand over the small items, which included a lot of jewelry, she gasped then started sorting things out in different piles.

When the Dunmer was finished reading he asked if I would like to read the letters myself or just wanted him to give us a brief summary. I told him he could read the letters, he laughed and said just as well, he wasn't sure the Translation ring would work on someone with little magic.

"Well ...hmmm. " He looked at Navitas and asked if that was her name, when she replied yes, he went on. " It seems your traveling companion really made the Chiss Admiral  angry and angry may be to mild a word. He has put out a "death on sight" bounty to all Chiss, but only to his own people so far. Young Lady you need to tell Isran about this, I know you have been put on special projects, but he still needs to know. They have already attacked some of the Dawnguard and Vigilants, but from what I have heard anyone is fair game to these people. "

The Vigilant explained which jewelry was enchanted and with what, their was a translation enchant on one of the rings, so I kept that one, even if it didn't work for me, I could get someone else to use it. We split the value of the items between us, though because of the horses, Navitas and I took the weapons and armor.

The third Dawnguard member had been setting up camp, the tent they had plus ours, was big enough that we could share and had a partition so that the ladies could have a bit of privacy.  Around the fire that night we talked about these invaders and where they might have come from. Navitas told the story of how she had helped a young Chiss girl get away from the Admiral, she had been a spy posing as a servant girl.

The Stendar Vigilant gave us some of her observations about them, that they always traveled in groups three or larger and almost always had a mage or spellsword type with them.  Her advice was to hire a mage, because it was often the case of the best way to fight fire, was with ice.

We helped with cleaning up the camp the next morning and then left, making it to Windhelm just before nightfall.

No comments:

Post a Comment