Monday, May 9, 2016

More Bounties and a Letter Home Page 6

We sat on the step's of Half-moon Camp, all the bandit's were meeting which ever God they served. Our pack's were full of loot and there was still item's that we both knew we could sell for a good profit. Neither of us wanted to leave item's of value behind, but knew we could carry only so much. We had been debating the merit's of one item over the other, weight verses possible selling price and re-packing.

I finally got up and put all the excess items in a sack and hid them in a rock were we might be able to find them again and if not, not. Navitas handed me a plate of food and said better to travel in the stomach than on the back. I sat chewing on a piece of tender meat and looked out over the Tundra. This was the kind of view I wanted.

I thought of all the thing's Navitas had said, The men fought, strongest, most clever or meanest winning the right to be Chief and have multiple wives and children. The women though, the stronger ones left, leaving the weaker willed and lesser females to marry. This of course meant eventually even the males would become weaker, less strong willed and more likely less intelligent.

But our whole way of being, our culture revolved around the Strong-holds and Malacath's strictures. I'm not sure I could set aside the culture, family history and my belief's in Malacath to change so mush. What really needs changing though, bad breeding. Even the breeders of dog's know that strong male to strong female is the way to go, each having the trait's one desires. So if we are breeding strong males to weak females, then that is one of the main things that needs to change.

"Navitas, how much change do you think that a new Strong-hold can absorb?" She looked thoughtful for a few minutes and I let her think.

" I think a new Stronghold, with a strong leader, having picked the right followers from the start could absorb much more than an established stronghold. Why, what where you thinking?"

"I think you are right about only the weaker females staying with the strongholds, most  strong females leaving. So I would need to entice strong females, but I don't think one chief could have more than one strong willed mate, unless it was her choice. On the other side, only having one male and one female having children would soon make the Stronghold's population decrease quickly." I paused for a second and went on.

" That would mean more than one male with a mate, just those two things are a huge change. But I do want some things to stay the same, independence being  top of the list. We need to be a strong independent People, some of our traditions are good. We have the finest Blacksmiths and alchemist's on Nirn, but if the best of our women are leaving, then we will eventually loose the finest of our crafts people. " I gathered my thoughts and turned so that I was looking her strait in the eyes.

"So I am asking you, what would it take to entice a strong woman, someone as strong minded, battle tested and Intelligent as you to come back to or join a Stronghold?" I will not say I held my breath, but I watched her closely to make sure she wasn't planning on pulling her sword because I insulted her.  She did not look angry, which was good, just thoughtful.

"I am no smith to want to be Forge Wife, nor am I good enough with Herbs and Potions to be a Wise Woman, I have no desire to care for all the children in the Stronghold or spend my days in front of a hot oven, so Hearth Wife is also out. I do not have the disposition to be a Chief's plaything and last wife and quite frankly I can have lovers or a husband outside the Stronghold, so being a guard and celibate in one, also would not suit." She looked at me hard and then down at the steps between our feet.

" I think our traditions are good, though and would consider a Stronghold and husband that would let me be me, not have to worry about being something I am not. I would consider joining a stronghold that had traditional values, but with out all the restrictions that women are under. I think if you truly want a home for your younger Brother to prosper and not worry about fighting or being killed to prevent him from challenging and you wish a home for your Heart and Birth Mother's, you should build a stronghold."

"But I think you should start as you mean to go along. What I mean is, here you must buy or be granted land from the Jarl, with favors done for that Jarl, you can become a Thane, then the Land isn't like other Orc Strongholds, it won't be up for the strongest to win a fight. Of course I myself would never settle anywhere the Sister's of my Heart would not be welcome with their families, so I am not sure a Stronghold would be the place for me anyway."

"You are talking something more like a military Fort, a Stronghold and a small village all mixed together?" I went on when she nodded. " That is not really a bad idea, the discipline of a Fort, the Training and hmmm make it non leathal, competition of a Stronghold and the community of a small village. I have stayed in villages back home that the people were mixed in the races, but each family true to their race, it was a very friendly place and it's what made me want something better. You have given me much to think on, "

We made it to Whiterun not long before the shop's closed for the night, but sold off everything without to much loss of coin, when we didn't haggle. We decided to wait til morning to see the Steward, as he might have another job for us.

The gossip we heard that night about the Chiss gave me pause about bringing my family here until our Stronghold was built and strong, but I would let my Birth-Mother know and she could choose the when of coming.

             Brie Gra-Olar
                    Beloved Mother of my Birth and Heart, I have made it to Skyrin and found the province full of potential, but also full of chaos, the perfect place for a strong Orc to make a name. I have not as yet made enough of a name for myself to ask the advice of the Chief's of the Strongholds here. I have met a female Orc and we  are helping each other while her Heart-Sisters are away to their homes. She is the kind of female that I would want for a Wife, but she like many of our strongest young females has no use for a traditional Stronghold.  In this I can not say that I blame her, as I think she feel's the same as you.
                   The land has so many dangers, that I am wondering when a good time will be to bring you here, I know I would prefer when the Stronghold defenses are at least built, better to live in-side the wall's in tent's than in separate buildings that are not completely defensable. Also, we will need at least one stone walled and fire-proff building, it seem's that dragons have returned and wood buildings would not be the best place for the frail and young to take shelter.
                    I have decided to buy the land and earn the right to do so from the Jarl's of this province. This seem's the best way for me to "own" the land and make the changes that I would like. I will write more, when I get further along.
                     You have my Heart and prayers, keep safe.
                                                                  Kurdan Gro-Olar

No comments:

Post a Comment