Saturday, April 30, 2016

Collecting Bounties page 5

I had fallen asleep right in the middle of my thoughts, but that was fine, the next day dawned sunny and cold, but no ice lingered on the ground. We were able to leave the tower and head back to Whiterun. The pack's of loot we carried were heavy and I missed Shyla, but it wasn't a long walk and it gave more time to think.

I liked the Tundra, the wide open vistas, the grassland would be perfect for a small horse herd. I would have to see about some land, but first find the right area. Water, good soil for planting. a good ore vein for mining, wood for harvesting and easily defensible, that was very important. I would keep my eye's open.

We stopped as we rounded a bend, two mages were fighting each other, one throwing firebolts the other ice spikes. Navitas stopped right beside me and chuckled, then said five septim's on the fire mage wining. So we watched as the two went back and forth, neither seeming to get the upper hand. About the time we both started shifting, getting tired of waiting a roar from above drew our attention.

The dragon flew in from over the mountain and hovered above the two mages and spat a green goo at the two of them. The Ice mage as slightly quicker and put up a shield that caused the goo to pass around him, the Fire mage was covered and soon fell to the ground dead.

Navitas and I looked at each other and backed up slowly, trying not to draw the dragon's attention. We made it to a huge hollowed log when we heard the dragon coming closer, Navitas hurried into the log, pushing her pack ahead of her. I went in backwards and kept my pack in front of me in case the dragon landed, I could protect us at least partly.

When I felt her hand on my hip I stopped and hunkered down. When the dragon flew overhead, I watched and then crawled toward the opening and watched as it swooped down by the river and then kept flying in that direction. I sat down where I was and rested my head against the tree.

Navitas crawled up beside me and looked out. We both heard the dragon in the far distance, I moved to get out and then helped her out also. When we got to where the mages were we looked at them both, Naviatas elbowed me in the rib's and said the Ice Mage lasted longer, I laughed when she handed over the five septims. We hurried on our way to Whiterun, walls may not stop a dragon from flying overhead, but they would make us both feel a bit safer.

We sold off our loot, went and got the bounty money for the bandit's and told the Steward about the Chiss being there. He shook his head and said he would let the Jarl know, but was glad we had taken care of them, as they were worse than the bandit's.

I grunted at the prospect of another night on the floor when Hulda said she only had one room, but it would be warm and dry if not the most comfortable. We took our meal on the balcony that overlooked the common room and talked about what we needed to do. Running or hiding was not an Orc's way to deal with anything, but in that case it was the prudent thing to do, Navitas agreed with that, though I still felt the coward.

We decided to work on our armor and to get some charm's and wards against the things that we felt the dragons might use. Fire, Frost, Lightning and Poison, we had seen that one in action. Those would of course help us with mages also.

We came out from our bargaining with the Court Wizard and I had to laugh we both had more gold, silver and jewel's hanging off our bodies than a Chief's favorite wife. Navitas had even had her ear's pierced to get more charms. I felt the fool enough with what I was wearing, but the wizard said each charm had to touch the body and should not be to close to another. Well most mercenaries did carry their wealth around their neck's, what wasn't invested in armor and weapons. We were acting the Mercenary by taking bounties, so.

We left town with another bounty and hope that we would not run into anymore dragons. I had never seen any at home and how many of the large beast's could Skyrim carry and not be stripped of game?

No comments:

Post a Comment